On March 20th, Bob McCool of arielMIS, Inc. presented a Cyber Security Awareness training – to Realities for Children business members. What is cyber security? It is the protection of systems connected to the Internet including computers, mobile devices and other network and IoT based devices from cyber-based attacks.
Cyber Security Statistics
- 43 percent of cyber-attacks target small business.
- Only 14 percent of small businesses rate their ability to mitigate cyber risks, vulnerabilities and attacks as highly effective.
- 60 percent of small companies go out of business within six months of a cyber-attack.
- 48 percent of data security breaches are caused by acts of malicious intent. Human error or system failure account for the rest.
- Small businesses are most concerned about the security of customer data
Take away points from the presentation were:
- Don’t open attachments that come in an email unless you verify it was sent by the actual sender.
- Make sure you have an antivirus on your computer.
- Make sure your operating system is up to date.